Disclaimer: We may receive a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Dangers of 5G – The Ultimate Guide
If we could see the sheer volume of electromagnetic fields passing through our everyday environments, it would stagger most of us. In fact, we would see just how accurate the term ‘electrosmog’ truly is.
With all our wireless signals coming and going, we are starting to run out of space, or bandwidth, for our demanding data needs. 5G has been proposed as the solution.
Many of our cellphones and WiFi routers use similar frequencies which is causing interference to become more common and more problematic. Add to the equation our insatiable appetite for scorching-fast internet speeds, and the benefits of 5G start to have significant appeal.
While 5G offers super fast browsing and transfer of data from your smart phone, is there a downside? Do the dangers of 5G present unknown potential risks?
What Does 5G Mean?
First of all, lets address the question of what 5G wireless actually is. Essentially, 5G wireless taps into a frequency bandwidth that is all but untouched thus far. Utilizing what are known as millimeter waves (MMW’s) that are located within the 30-300 GHz range has opened up entirely new bandwidth, which is an essential component of fast data transfers.
With reports of 10 Gigabits per second, 5G doesn’t fail to deliver on fast download speeds. Businesses that rely on heavy data use could get a big boost in productivity. But this technology does have it’s weak points and risks.
The high frequency millimeter waves of 5G can only travel short distances, and they can also be absorbed easily by objects that obstruct their travel. In order to keep the data moving at break-neck speeds, 5G networking requires many small cellular antennas placed much closer together than we are used to seeing today.
So the final picture would look very different than the widespread, towering wireless antennas of today. 5G antennas would be small, and would be placed closer together, most likely on structures like telephone poles.
The Next Network Generation: 5G
Lets make a few comparisons to better understand what is being proposed with 5G wireless communications. If you look over the current landscape of 4G wireless telecommunications, there are a few notable differences.
First of all, when looking at 4G antennas it is worth noting that they emit bursts of radio frequency radiation (RFR) at levels much higher than 5G cell towers would.
Remember, 4G can travel much longer distances than 5G, but it requires high levels of RFR emission to do so. 5G antennas would emit lower levels of RFR, but they would need to be everywhere in order to provide reliable service.
With antennas on every telephone pole, your smart phone’s battery life should see a healthy boost in run-time as establishing a secure connection won’t demand nearly as much power.
But this also presents issues for those of us who seek to protect ourselves from unnecessary EMF exposure. Along with new bandwidth, 5G would make electrosmog nearly inescapable for many.
Secondly, 5G uses a higher frequency, and potentially more damaging form of electromagnetic radiation.
Whereas 4G radiation has been studied extensively by reputable organizations such as the World Health Organization, the dangers of 5G millimeter waves have yet to be fully understood. Historically, our track record surrounding new radiation technology has not exhibited a consistent pattern of safe behavior, to say the least.
Thirdly, 5G is reported to be at least 50x faster than 4G – but do the risks outweigh the rewards?
Current 4G wireless telecommunication systems feature a 50 millisecond delay, while 5G communications will offer nearly seamless communication with a mere 1 millisecond delay. Even though that increase in speed is nearly imperceptible to the average human, it will inevitably add up to mean faster overall data transfer. So what are the potential downsides?
Cellphone Radiation Effects
In 2011, The International Agency for Research on Cancer put the spotlight on mobile phone electromagnetic fields, and specifically found that mobile phones could cause specific forms of brain tumors known as gliomas. This branch of the World Health Organization also classified RFR as a potential 2B carcinogen.
The next year in 2012, the Department of Neurosurgery at the Keck School of Medicine authored a study on malignant brain tumors that showed an increase in brain tumors near to where people hold their cellphone. Notably, cases of diagnosed glioma decreased in that same study, which left direct causation yet to be found.
Other studies documented a litany of health risks including a threefold increase in glioma diagnoses, decreased melatonin production, insomnia, disruption of cellular metabolism, DNA breaks and cancers, to name a few. But 5G presents it’s own issues due to the unique frequency ranges utilized by 5G technology.
5G Radiation Dangers
The unique dangers of 5G radiation have not been tested in the same large-scale that we have already experienced with 4G. However, we do have some historical research on millimeter waves that we can reference to get a better picture of the risks associated with the frequency bandwidth utilized by 5G technology.
- Effects on the skin – Research thus far indicates that the most significant risk associated with MMW’s are associated with the skin. The sweat ducts in the human body are particularly sensitive to millimeter waves and become more conductive to stimuli when exposed to MMW’s. It’s been reported that up to 90% of millimeter waves are absorbed by the epidermis and dermis, and can cause physical pain in some cases.
- Effects on the eyes – One of the most radio-sensitive tissues in the human body is the lens of the eye. The connection between cataracts and radiation exposure has been a long-known danger. Millimeter waves have been shown to cause cataracts in lab rats, and The Medical Research Institute of Kanazawa Medical University found MMW’s to cause thermal injuries to the eye.
- Effects on immune system – Russian studies on the effects of low-intensity millimeter waves found a suppressive effect on the overall immune system of healthy mice.
- Effects on the heart – Another Russian study found impacts on heart rate variability from the very frequency range 5G proposes to use. Another Russian study documented similar heart rate changes in exposing frog’s skin to MMW’s.
One of the more outlandish facts surrounding 5G is that the same frequencies used in 5G technology have been hotly-researched by leading defense agencies around the world for the purposes of crowd control. The U.S. Department of Defense has researched MMW’s for crowd control for 15 years, and currently uses a “focused beam of millimeter waves at a frequency of 95 gigahertz” in their Active Denial System. This system causes an intense burning sensation for anyone unlucky enough to be exposed to the beam. Documented injuries include blistering and second degree burns.
What To Do About 5G Dangers
- First, it is important to get some understanding about radiation – it will greatly help your decisions when they are based on sound reasoning. There is a lot of fear and paranoia surrounding EMF’s, but anxiety and panic won’t provide the reasoned results you need.
- Second, you need to stop guessing about the location of harmful EMF’s. We suggest you read about our recommendations on the top EMF detectors. A good EMF detector will show you the exact source of EMF’s, and that is the type of actionable information you need to be basing your decisions on.
- Third, remember the trifecta of radiation protection: time, distance, and shielding.
1. Limit your time, but especially limit the time your children are spending using cellphones. Texting rather than talking will go a long way toward reducing exposure. But it it also smart to limit exposure time to all forms of EMF radiation including Wifi. Kids are naturally more vulnerable to the effects of radiation due to a number of physical factors including more rapid growth and cellular division.
2. Distance yourself and your loved one’s from sources of radiation, such as cellphones, tablets, and other Wifi and wireless devices. If it is unrealistic to turn these devices off, distance is another recommended practice. Take the laptop off your lap, and use tablets and cellphones from a distance whenever possible.
3. Radiation shielding is widely available today. You can purchase smartphone cases that block EMF radiation which will greatly reduce your cumulative dose over time. Many of those same companies offer EMF radiation shielding for tablets, laptops, and smart meters as well. You can check out our page on EMF shielding for all the options.
Here is a good video describing 5G technology: